Events for the Week of January 16 – 23
- · Indigo Eco Spa is the premier center for well-being along the Mendocino Coast. Our state-of-the art, Five Star Luxury Spa surrounds an atmosphere of pampering, relaxation and rejuvenation. Guests are invited to sample a variety of body, skin and facial treatments centered on the beauty and power of the sea. Full menu of services is located at the welcome desk.
- Pacific Star Winery You are invited to this award winning winery for wine tasting. Their wines are made entirely on their cliff side location 12 miles north of Fort Bragg; 30 minutes from Mendocino. They also have picnic tables that overlook the Pacific Ocean. Open 11-4pm.
- · Whale Watching on the Trek ll will afford you the ultimate in the whale watching experience. These two hour cruises let you enjoy the migration of the California Gray Whales as well as many other marine mammals and birds, in unparalleled style. The cruises begin in the middle of December and continue through April and are available on both weekends and weekdays. 964-4550.
- · Mendocino Art Center presents 2012 Members Juried Exhibit from 10 – 5 pm. Juror: David L. Cross can paint anything, but it’s the ocean that has captured his imagination for the past 40 years. Some might call his paintings, “moody, romantic, powerful, or moving.” David creates every day. If he isn’t painting, he is sketching, preparing canvas, making frames, or carefully observing the ocean. His original works can be seen at the Mendocino Art Center. 45200 Little Lake Street at Kasten Street, Mendocino. 937-5818.
- · Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens. Open daily from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. 47 acres to the sea. There are Japanese maples, late perennials, winter heathers, camellias, and wild mushrooms and also viewing of the winter whale migration. Enjoy the sculpture gallery in the gardens. The sculpture gallery primarily features the work of California artists. Visitors enjoy the artwork in an intimate, natural setting, connected by meandering paths and walkways.
- · “13 Strings” Jazz Guitar Duo Friday, January 20, from 7:30 – 9:30 pm. Alex Markels – 7 string guitar and James Moseley – 6 string guitar, will play duet interpretations of jazz tunes they love, Alex and James have been playing guitar since they were kids. Alex switch to 7 strings ten years ago. Sliding scale $10 – $15. Mendocino Hotel Garden Room. 937-1732.
- · Crab Cake & Cook-Off & Wine Tasting Competition Saturday, January 21, from noon to 3 pm. Succulent crab cakes & Mendocino wines. A winning combination! Taste hand-crafted crab cakes prepared by Mendocino chefs while sipping Mendocino wines! Participants compete for the Professional Judges Awards bestowed by renowned food, wine & travel writers, while vying for your vote for the Peoples choice Awards! Bid on specialty wines, lodging, artwork, spa packages, and more in the silent auction! Raffle prizes too! Held at the Big White Tent at the corner of Main & Spruce Streets, Fort Bragg. 961-3463.
- · Dan Newton aka “Daddy Squeeze” playing Saturday, January 21, from 7:30 – 10 pm. “Daddy Squeeze” has been playing offbeat accordion music since 1987. “Music out of context”, or “Ethro-clectic Bop” is the result of Dan Newton’s genre-bending experiments with Celtic, Tex-Mex, Creole, Blues, jazz, Scandinavion, Polka and Pop Music. Dan will be joined by a host of local Lark Camp stars for a set of mixed dances after the concert. Held at the Hill House of Mendocino. $15. 937-1732.
- Whale Watching at MacKerricher State Park Saturday, Sunday, January 14, 15 from 11:00 am – 12:30 pm. Knowledgeable docents will talk about the annual gray whale migration and about other marine mammals see along the Mendocino Coast. Talks will begin near the visitor center at the main entrance to Mackerricher State park. Docents will provide binoculars and a spotting scope to help visitors study whales and other fascination wildlife found near Mackerricher’s shores. FREE. Dogs allowed on a leash. 961-0471.
- · Caspar Inn
Fri., Jan. 20 Mighty T Bones rock and blues Starts 9:30 pm. $10
Sat., Jan. 21 Guerrilla Takeover reggae/hip hop Starts 9:30 pm. $10
Sun., Jan 22 Reggae Sunday reggae Starts 8:30 pm. FREE