Call us directly: 800-421-2810
Via 8211 N Highway One Mendocino Coast, California View on Map
 

Landmarks of Mendocino

Mendocino county is recognized for many things. A great wine growing region, fishing, recreational activities, art community, 3 state parks, logging heritage, county wide festivals, whale watching, etc.

But did you know we have a total of eight historical landmarks county wide here in Mendocino county.

 

Starting here  on the coast there is California Landmark No. 615, Fort Bragg. Established in June 11, 1857 by 1st Lieutenant Harotio Gate Gibson, 3rd Artillery, later Brig. General of the U. S. Army. Named by Gibson in honor of his former company commander, Braxton Bragg, later General of the Confederate Army. The photograph shows the 1892 redwood Victorian built on the site of Fort Bragg as a home for Charles Russell Johnson who founded the Union Lumber Company and served as Fort Bragg’s first mayor. The landmark is located 321 Main Street, Fort Bragg.

Presbyterian-Church-800Landmark No. 714 Mendocino Presbyterian Church. The Presbyterian Church has already observed three centennials. The first in 1954, celebrating its 100th birthday of Protestant services in Mendocino Village. The second, in 1959, took note of the first 100 years as a Presbyterian congregation. At that time, the church was declared a California Historical Landmark. The church is also listed in the Federal Registry of Historic Places. The third centennial in 1967 marked the first 100 years of life of the building itself. Located at 431 South Main Street, Mendocino.

temple of kwanLandmark No. 927 Temple of Kwan Tai. Dedicated to the Chinese god of war. One of the oldest of California’s Chinese houses of worship in continuous use, the temple may date as far back as 1854, though its documented history raches only to 1883. The Temple of Kwan Tai was restored and rededicated in October 2001. Visitors may view Temple of Kwan Tai at 45160 Albion Street, Mendocino.

Point Arena LighthouseLandmark No. 1035 Point Arena Light Station. In 1989 the Point Arena Light Station was listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its statewide significance in the area of maritime history. The first buildings at the station were constructed in 1870 and were destroyed in 1906 during the San Francisco Earthquake. At that time the U. S. Lighthouse Service decided to use reinforced concrete in the light house replacement. Thus, when the Point Arena Lighthouse began operation in 1908, it became the first lighthouse of reinforced concreted in the State. Located at the Lighthouse Road, Point Arena.

Sun_HouseLandmark No. 926 The Sun House. This house, constructed in 1911-12, is a unique Craftsman style redwood building which incorporates northwestern designs into its architecture. The Sun House was designed by George Wilcox and John W. and Grace Carpenter Hudson. Dr. Hudson was a recognized authority on American Indians, and especially California Pomo Indians. Mrs. Hudson, an outstanding artist, became widely known for her paintings of Pomo life. Located at 431 South Main Street, Ukiah

Landmark No. 980 Ukiah Vichy Springs Resort. Frank Marble discovered these springs in 1848, and William Day established a resort here in the 1850′s. Ukiah Vichy represents one of the oldest and one of the few continuously operating mineral springs in California. Its waters remain among the most important of the thermal, alkaline-carbonated waters once so highly valued by both European and American believers in hydropathy. It is the only mineral springs in California that resembles the famed Grand Grille Springs of Vichy, France. Located at 2701 Vichy Springs Road, Ukiah.

squaw rockLandmark No. 549 Squaw Rock. This early landmark, also called Lover’s Leap, is associated with the legend of a 19th century Sanel Indian maiden. According to legend the young Indian maiden named Sotuka jumped from this rock while holding a great stone. She landed on her faithless lover, Chief Cachow and his new bride who were sleeping killing all three. Located on U S Highway 101, approximately 6 miles south of Hopland (mile marker 5.1) Mendocino County.

Landmark No. 674 Round Valley. This valley was discovered by Frank M. Azbill, who arrived from Eden Valley on May 15, 1854. During the same year. Charles Kelsey from Clear Lake also visited it and George E. White sighted it from Blue Nose. Location at Inspiration Point, on State Highway 162, 5 miles south of Covelo.

Posted in Mendocino News | Leave a comment

Comments are closed.

The forecast for 90210 by Wordpress Weather