Come join us starting April 29 and running through May 29, for our 8th Annual Heritage Days which is a county wide event. This year, 2011, we are adding material about the Native Americans of the area.
Here is a list of the many activities happening here in Mendocino County:
- Local History Class (Community Room, Fort Bragg Library)
- Historic Walking Tour of Fort Bragg
- “Spend a moment with CR Johnson” on the Skunk Train”
- Point Cabrillo Museum Tours
- Point Cabrillo Lantern Tour
- Mendocino Historic District walking tour
- Mendocino Presbyterian Church tours
- Frolic Cove walk at Point Cabrillo
- 33rd Annual John Druecker Memorial Rhododendron Show & Plant Sale
- Historic Walking Tour of Willits
- Night walk of Fort Bragg by Derrick Hoyle
- Progressive Dinner (Ford House Visitor Center)
- Point Arena Light Station Museum and Lighthouse
- Meet a Lady Lighthouse Keeper
- Guided Bird Watching Walk on the Stornetta Public Lands
- Cemetery Walks in the Rose Memorial Park
- Mendocino Historical Review Board Annual Award Ceremony “How Preservation Happened”
- Small Craft Boat Show
- Walk the Coastal Trail on the Historic Mill Site
- Grande old Car Show
- Ranch Heritage Tour
- Tour of the Sun House (artist Grace Hudson’s home) and Grace Hudson’s Grave Site
- Kelley House Dine-Out
- Finding Heritage Plants at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens
- Seabiscuit’s Legacy Art Exhibits & Benefit Auction
- Redwood Coasters: The Vessels that Served the Mendocino Coastal Frontier
- Ukiah Heritage Walking Tour
- Soroptimist Quilt Show
- Looking Back: The Amazing Alleys of Fort Bragg
- U. S. Coast Guard Open House
- Tours at St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church
- Anderson Valley Museum Open House
- Moonlight Cemetery Walks
This year the Heritage Days Organizers for 2011 are:
- The Ford House Visitor Center – Mendocino
- Guest House Museum - Fort Bragg
- Kelley House Museum – Mendocino
- Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens – Fort Bragg
- Mendocino Study Club – Mendocino
- Native Daughters of the Golden West – Fort Bragg
- American Rhododendron Society, Noyo Chapter
- Mendocino County Museum – Willits
- Grace Hudson Museum – Ukiah
- Friends of the Fort Bragg Library – Fort Bragg
- Point Arena Light Station – Point Arena
- Point Cabrillo Light Station – Caspar
- Soroptimist of Fort Bragg - Fort Bragg
Also some of our organizers have auspicious anniversaries this year:
- 50 years for the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens
- 100 years for Fort Bragg to Willits Run on the California Western Railroad
- 100 years for the Fort Bragg Library
- 150 years for the Kelley House Museum
Ongoing Events and Exhibits in May
Kwan Tai Temple (1854) Open House • 45160 Albion Street, Mendocino • The oldest Chinese Temple in use on the north coast of California, designated California Historical Landmark #927. Open 12-3 pm on Saturday and Sundays in May.
Look at Who We Are: Stories of Home • Grace Hudson Museum, Ukiah • An exhibit combining visual stories (brought to life by images and objects) and digital stories (first person video-narratives) created by community members. This exhibit is an inquiry into—and a celebration of—what makes Ukiah unique. Enjoy stories about the Palace Hotel, Mendocino State Hospital, Masonite, City of 10,000 Buddhas, Ranches and Rancherias. Open Wed.–Sat. 10 am–4:30 and Sundays 12–4:30. General admission charge $4; Seniors & Students $3; Family $10. This show runs from March 19 to June 19.
Historic Displays • Guest House Museum • Fort Bragg • The Fort Bragg Centennial Quilt will be on display all month in the Guest House Museum living room. The quilt was created before 1989 by community women handy with a needle to commemorate our first 100 years. The 100 year old Finnish Rug Loom will also be featured at the Guest House Museum.
10 am–3:30 pm • Point Arena Light Station Museum and Lighthouse tours • 30-45 minutes; tours to the top of the tower every 20 minutes • $7.50 • Lighthouse Road, Point Arena • Tour includes information about the historic Light Station, early Light Keepers and local maritime history. View the 1st Order Fresnel lens in our museum and take the 145-step trek to the top of one of the tallest Lighthouses on the west coast. Self-guided tours of the Station’s 23 coastal acres. Plan to spend a day bird watching, whale watching and enjoying the Station’s trails and spring wildflowers. The Lighthouse is open from 10 am to 3:30 pm every day in May.
Stop and View the Rocks • Savings Bank of Mendocino County, Fort Bragg Branch • An exhibit of paintings depicting the drama of Mendocino County off-shore rocks will be featured at the Savings Bank of Mendocino in Fort Bragg opening on April 1. To celebrate the California Coastal National Monument, the most seen and least known of all 100 U.S. National Monuments, the Mendocino Study Club is sponsoring the exhibit as a Heritage Days of Mendocino County event. Study Club Members became Collaborative Partners with the Bureau of Land Management last November 1, agreeing to recognize and to promote the 1100 mile-long California Coastal National Monument. Several prominent artist will be featured in the “Stop and View the Rocks” exhibit, including David Barnes who is creating a painting especially for the exhibit. Lynn Prentice will share one of her famous rock scenes, and Study Club member Elma Bryant is also loaning a painting to display.
Stop and View the Rocks Photos • Mendocino Coast District Hospital, South Lobby • A Photography Exhibit, “Stop and View the Rocks Photos” will be be on display in the South Lobby of the Mendocino Coast Hospital opening on May 9. The off-shore rocks of the California Coastal National Monument are always a favorite photographic subject. Native Daughters of the Golden West Fort Bragg Parlor 210 is sponsoring the exhibit during Heritage Days of Mendocino County. Many outstanding photographers are participating. Members of the Mendocino Coast Photographer Guild will be well represented. The Exhibit will include a Carleton Watkins’ 1863 photo of “Noyo River Meets the Sea” loaned by the Guest House Museum. “Rocks in the Night” by Dan Feaster and a photo by Bruce Lewis of “Rocks at Jug Handle” are two of the early entries. Bill Brazill enjoys old-fashioned photography using glass plates and will display a photo of “Rocks at Westport”.
A Passion for Plants and Place: Carl Purdy of Mendocino County • Admission Charge • Mendocino County Museum, Willits • An exhibit about the life of Carl Purdy, a home-grown horticulturist and landscaper, contemporary of Luther Burbank, and Mendocino County’s first agricultural commissioner. On display will be Carl Purdy’s desk, collection samples, correspondence, photographs and paintings of some of the native plants described and named by Carl Purdy. Open Wednesday through Sunday, 10 am–4:30 pm. Admission charge.
For lodging phone 707-937-2810 or online at reservations
For dinner phone 707-937-2810 or online at opentable