Come to the Mendocino Coast and join us for the 28th Annual Mendocino Coast Whale Festivals. The 2010 celebration is all about the migration of the Pacific Gray Whales and their newborn calves. The migrating whales, numbering between 20,000 to 23,000 individuals, pass by the Mendocino Coast twice each year.
The first three weekends of March is whale festival time. On March 6, 7 it is hosted in the Village of Mendocino. The second weekend of March 13, 14 it is hosted in Little River and the third weekend of March 20, 21 will be held in Fort Bragg. Some of the many events include:
- March 6th in Mendocino from 12:00 noon to 4:00 pm will be wine tasting featuring premium Mendocino County wines.
- Chowder tasting on Saturday only, March 6 & March 20.
- 5th Annual Marine Art Exhibit at the Mendocino Art Center.
- Whale Cruises from Noyo Harbor.
- Microbrew Beer Tasting (Saturday March 20) in Fort Bragg, at Eagles Hall from 12:00 noon to 5:00 pm.
- Plein-Air Artist Showcase in Mendocino (March 6, 7)
- Point Cabrillo Lighthouse (March 6, 7 & March 20, 21). Gray whales should be highly visible swimming just off the lighthouse bluffs. Docents will be available (with lending binoculars) to answer any questions. There will be games and activities for children, including putting together a life-size gray whale jig-saw puzzle. Visit the lighthouse to view the collection of historical photographs, displays, and Frolic shipwreck exhibits. Docents will be on hand to explain the history of Point Cabrillo and the operation of the Light Station. Enjoy the museums 250 gallon salt water aquarium, and also the U.S. Coast Guard and Coast Guard Auxiliary will also be on hand.
- History and birding walks in Van Damme State Park, (March 13, 14)
- Artist studio tours.
- Presentation on the Blue Whale, sponsored by friends of the Blue Whale on (Saturday March 20) at the C V Starr Aquatic Center.
- Mendocino Coast Whale Festivals Concert Series. We kick off with the return of the Subdudes!!! Saturday evening March 6, at the Cotton Auditorium, corner of Fir and Harold Streets, Fort Bragg.
- The Music and Magic of Robert Goleman. This special presentation, featuring Robert Goleman, The Schieve Orchestra and a guest appearance by the Fabulous Blendos, will be performing March 5, 6 and 7. Robert Goleman will be combining a mixture of some of his personal favorite songs, ranging from Broadway, contemporary and Opera, along with lots of close-up magic and a new, mind-boggling illusion, performed right in front of your very eyes; accompanied by the Billy Schieve Orchestra. Eagles Hall Theatre in Fort Bragg, corner of Corry & Alder Streets. For information and times phone 964-SHOW (7469).
For additional information go to mendocinocoast.com