Mendocino Main Street Restrooms will be affected by the California State Parks Financial Crisis. A letter was distributed by the California State Parks on October 15, 2009, notifying Mendocino Merchants due to severe budget reductions, furloughs and layoffs, the California State Parks will be closing the Mendocino Main Street Restrooms on November 1, 2009.
The Mendocino Area Parks Association (MAPA) has organized and will facilitate a meeting, on Thursday, October 29, at the Mendocino Hotel and Garden Room. Representatives from California State Parks, MAPA, the Mendocino Coast Chamber of Commerce, and Visit Mendocino County will be on hand. Mendocino’s 5th District Supervisor David Colfax has also been invited to attend.
Also, California State Parks is not going to be able to fund the Ford Visitor Center Tuesday – Thursday. Here is a breakdown for operating the Ford House for 3 days a week and the Main Street Restrooms.
Main Street Restrooms:
- Clean / restock 2 times a day (2 hour a day X 365 days = $7,636
- Unclog, respond to vandalism (1 hour a week) = $544
- Gas & Maintenance (maintenance, 4 miles a day, patrol and lock restrooms X $.585/ mile = $2,562
- Electricity and 50% of well = $248
- Sewer (325.28 X 70%) = $2,732
- Water system (tests/chemicals, 10 months) =$120
- Toilet paper, seat covers, cleaner, trash bags = $2,674
- Trash pickup and dumpster charges, prorated = $1,226
Total = $17,742
Ford House Visitor Center:
- Minor repairs, deliver supplies (1 hour / week) = $233
- Vehicles (gas and maintenance) = $52
- Host volunteers to staff Visitor Center = $$2,737
- Electric = $877
- Heating Oil = $717
- Water System (tests & chemicals) = $463
- Sewer = $502
- Trash Removal & Dumpster charges = $263
Total = $5,844
Grand Total = $23,586