The world’s only Abalone Festival & Cook-off is happening on the weekend of Saturday, October 3, 2009. This event has grown throughout the years starting at the Van Damme State Park parking lot. After a couple of years of great success in 1998 they moved it to the Pomo Indian Village site east of Brewery Gulch Road. After that location proved to be to small they moved it to the Springs Ranch Headlands and held it there for several more years until 2007 where the event was held at the Caspar Community Center. Now this very popular event has grown so much that the new location will be held at Noyo Harbor, Fort Bragg. Come join us for chowder tasting, a craft fair, souvenirs and music round out this fun event from 10 am to 4 pm.
BE A JUDGE TO TASTE WILD ABALONE RECIPES
- What is the Abalone Cook-Off? The Abalone Cook-Off is a competition between cooks who prepare their favorite wild abalone recipe in hopes of winning a grand price.
- How can I taste the abalone? An Abalone Cook-Off Tasting Ticket is required to be a judge and is the only abalone available in the event. An Abalone Cook-Off Tasting Ticket allows the holder to taste approximately 10 different cook-off recipes and vote on their favorite dish.
- Can I buy abalone? No. The only way you can taste wild abalone is if you dive for it (license / permit required), or know an abalone-diver friend who will legally share, or be a cook-off tasting judge at MAPA’S annual Abalone Cook-Off.
- What is the entry fee if I don’t taste abalone? FREE! There is no entry fee to attend the festival and enjoy the music, craft faire and ambiance. However, if you want to taste abalone, you will need and Abalone Cook-Off Tasting Ticket. With or without a ticket, you may purchase fine Mendocino wines, clam chowder, t-shirts, raffle tickets & participate in the silent auction.
- Will the Noyo Harbor venue be as crowded this year? The site will be more open with better flow due to a different placement of the exhibitors.
- What is the purpose of the Cook-Off. Money raised at the Abalone Cook-Off & Festival helps fund natural & cultural heritage programs in our local state parks to raise awareness of our interconnection with the life, land, water and air around us, and to inspire protection and preservation of our parklands and our planet.
- Is the cook-off cancelled if it rains? NO. The cook-off is held rain or shine.
- Can we bring our dogs? NO. MAPA discourages bringing your dog because of the large number of people at the event, and because of the health code for the cook-off. This restriction includes the cooks, too.
- Can we bring our own wine, beer or alcohol? NO. The Mendocino County Sherriff does not allow any alcohol to be brought onto or taken off the premises. Wine, soft drinks and water will be available for purchase.
- Can we bring our own chairs. Absolutely. We want you to enjoy yourselves and to have a wonderful time.
Located: South Harbor Drive, Noyo Harbor, Fort Bragg. 707-272-5397.